Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My issues are many with my "landlord". He is a property

Customer Question
My issues are many with...
My issues are many with my "landlord". He is a property manager that signs the owner's name to documents but as things have gotten worse went from verbally claiming he is the landlord to he is just "doing a favor for a friend". Nutshell of issues: 1. Lived in dwelling 2 1/2 months with over 20 maintenance issues, majority notified right after moving in. Had hurricane less than a week after move in and continues to date to claim reason for delay. 2. Very abusive and "bullying" when pushed for repairs though history of texts proves that I was consistently patient and polite. 3. Finally called code compliance and he found out through the grapevine. Then called me (first time called vs.text) and slandered my character, past rental/landlord relationships (incredibly & verifiably solid), offered to "let me out of my lease" (second time when I pushed for issues to get fixed), and threatened to raise rent if I stayed (retaliation). 4. I signed lease in haste as I had been forced to move from my previous place due to major plumbing issues (where I lived for over 5 years and continue to have a good relationship with my landlord). The "property manager" here and I have multiple mutual friends and so, given my situation and lack of housing, I signed the lease without a proper review in good faith. Due to the many, many issues that have arisen I have now discovered that the lease is riddled with illegal clauses, at least dozen. My lease is only 3 pages long and a friend that uses him as his property manager has a lease from him for his own tenants that is 18 pages! 5. Did not give lead paint disclosure. I suspect that lead paint is applicable here now. 6. Did not provide a list of current damages/issues nor suggested or provided a walk through for the same. 7. Lease does not give any indication regarding where security deposit is being held, in what manner, or when/how it will be returned. I am sure there is more but this give a very solid idea. After calling code compliance and making him aware that I did not receive the lead paint disclosure he is now "playing nice" but I am concerned about retaliation based on his past behavior and I feel very violated. Repairs happening in droves due to calling code compliance but I do not trust him and worry about future repercussions!
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
He also already told me on the phone call that he would not be renewing my lease even though I have paid rent on time and have no complaints. I still have nine months before my lease is over! I do not wish to leave this dwelling but I do want to make sure it is safe and, ideally, no longer have to deal with him as my "go to" since he claims he is not even the official property manager now that I have practiced my rights. Can I sue for damages, have the place confirmed/repaired safe in regards ***** ***** paint, and still remain? If I have to move would he be liable for moving costs?
I am tired of being bullied and taken advantage of and feel as though he is just biding his time before he gets ugly again. It is a very uncomfortable and undeserved situation! I rented at my last place for 5 1/2 years and the one before that for 10 years. I am a good tenant that is not unreasonable.
11/23/2017
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Attorney replied 8 months ago
N Cal Atty
N Cal Atty, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

I need to know which city and state the property is located in.

Did Code Compliance order any repairs?

Florida. Yes, code compliance ordered repairs that are now being done.

Does this property manager have a real estate broker's license?

City is Fort Lauderdale

You might have a case for retaliation based on failure to renew the lease following the complaint to code compliance, see

https://www.thebalance.com/florida-tenant-s-rights-after-landlord-retaliation-2125130

If you can prove you were exposed to lead in the unit, you can sue for that also.

You can get a free consultation from some of the local landlord tenant attorneys listed here.

Please follow up on ths with a local attorney.

Okay, I appreciate your help but I already have the link that you sent. I was trying to find out if, based on the extreme level of dishonesty, harassment/retaliation (threatening to raise rent, "offering" twice to "let me out of my lease" when I pushed for repairs, and already told me - less than three months in - that he will not be renewing my lease even though I have paid my rent *early* and caused no disturbances,, non-code compliance (prior to move in), illegal lease clauses, personal/character insults, violation of both federal (lead paint & unsecure mailbox - almost 3 months here now) and state law, do I have a case to sue for DAMAGES. I have literally had panic attacks and extreme anxiety because of this situation and I trust him so little that I am planning on videotaping dropping my rent off in the assigned, offsite, required mailbox (that was broken into last month!) because I have concern he may try to claim I did not pay it. He brought the lead paint disclosure the day after I let him know I was aware he had never provided it after my research when he was attempting additional, implied intimidation of my rights. When he did he still did not provide the pamphlet, would not sign it (even though he signs the owner's name to all other documents including my lease and the agreement with Orkin who was there at the same time to set up tenting my place for termites per code compliance), and when I asked that days date he "suggested" I just put the date I move in. There was a large, empty section where any disclosure of knowledge of lead paint would be provided which I made a point of writing in large letters across that no information was given. This was last week and I still do not have a signed copy. He also never provided a list of existing damages when there are obviously many, nor any information about where my security deposit is being held, in what manner, nor the procedure for its return. Even if he "plays nice" here forward as he is well aware now that I have educated myself on my rights I need to know that as time passes this cannot come back to haunt me if I do not pursue anything now.
I am not vindictive but he is blatantly and intentionally shady and has cause me major stress and discomfort both emotionally and physically, I wonder if the owner has any clue how he is treating me as a tenant. Would it be to my benefit to contact the owner directly? I think they are friends. I don't want to get the owner in trouble and I don't want to have to move but I also don't want to have to live under the threat of potential retaliation, now or in the future, as I remain in this dwelling. And if my best option is to move I absolutely want to be compensated for that cost and then some!!I have spent hours educating myself on the law & my rights. I am reaching out there to avoid hiring an attorney because I need to know first, if I do, what are my suggested end goals and is it actually recommended or should I just keep documenting everything and ride it out?
I do not want to go to court as it will be long and ugly, though I have no doubt I would win, but I also do not want to remain here and that window closes because I remained and then he does not renew the lease and then keeps my full deposit because he never offered a walk through (even though I could fight it because the lease is riddled with illegal clauses). If I am going to be screwed in the end I'd rather get out now IF I don't have to pay for another move and have potential for additional compensation due to fraud and harassment.
Lawyer: N Cal Atty, Attorney replied 7 months ago

Hiring an attorney shows the landlord that you are serious. It is possible an attorney could work out an agreement that will let you remain and get the lease renewed if that is your goal.

Only a local attorney can provide legal advice after reading the lease and going over all the facts with you in detail.