Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a tenant in Illinois and I recently sent my landlord a…

Hello I am a...

Hello I am a tenant in Illinois and I recently sent my landlord a notice to vacate letter stating I would be out by January 1, 2018… When I asked about my security deposit he informed me I would need to give him a 60 day notice currently I am on a month-to-month lease

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.

Security deposit he informed me I would need to give him a 60 day notice currently I am on a month-to-month lease

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Filed or reported with the courts?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time thank you

Answered in 1 minute by:
11/22/2017
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, an Illinois licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.
There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU
Where did the landlord come up with the 60day notice requirement? Is there a written lease with a 60 day notice requirement?
The lease was in effect from February 8, 2016 until July 31, 2017 I did not sign a new lease agreement in the lease it states I am month-to-month after July 31, 2017 It does state in the lease that a 60 day notice is required within the term of the lease
Just to clarify, you had a right to terminate the lease on 60 days notice during the lease term? Or does it say it is 60 days to terminate when it goes month to month?
It states the term of this lease will be from February 8, 2016 until July 31, 2017 month to month after that at the amount specified… 60 day notice to vacate or no security deposit returned He raised my rent without a new lease agreement
Well then it sounds like the 60 notice is in accordance with the terms of the lease. Normally, the termination of a month to month tenancy requires one full month’s notice, unless the lease provided otherwise, as does this one. What is your question?
because he has changed the terms of the lease by charging me more rent July1, 2017 instead of august 1,2017 am I able to get my security deposit back
Did he give notice of one month to raise the rent? Did you pay the higher rent?
I paid higher rent. He sent a notice June 3rd by text of higher rent required July 1
I paid higher rent because I had no where to go and did not want to chance getting evicted
Thank you for the additional informwtion and your patience.
While you could have enforced the required notice period to stsrt paying increased rent, by paying it you modified the month to month tenancy. It would not change the 60 day requirement to terminate. So, you still need to give 60 days to get the deposit returned.
I am sorry. I wish I could tell yuo otherwise, but I do not want you to be spinning your wheels on this.
If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Loren, Lawyer

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?