Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My tenant has been voilating the HOA rules. Am I to pay the fine?

Customer's question: My Association has sent me violation letters that my tenant has committed in the past 5 years. And violation penalty fee has added up to 3800.  Am I allowed to request my tenant to pay this fees?

Lawyer's answer: For violations that were also part of the lease - the tenant may be responsible for them.

For violations not part of the lease - the tenant can only be held responsible if he KNEW or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that doing/not doing something would have resulted in a fine to YOU. This is hard to prove, of course. The fact that the tenant did not forward the violations to you suggests maliciousness or willful ignorance on his behalf, which can be argued to make him more complicit. However in the end, it is the Court's decision.

Customer's question:
Read full interaction below »

My Association has sent me a violation letters that my tenant committed past 5 years

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

It’s in Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

And violation penalty fee is added up to 3800

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Am I allow to request my tenant to pay this fees?

HOA have been sending a violation letters to physical property and my tenant never have send me these letters.
I asked board of directors to waive this fees but unfortunately they denied my request. I want to ask my tenant to pay this fines but wondering if I can ask her to pay and if we were to go to housing court, what would be the result?
11/22/2017
Ely, Counselor at Law

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. You may also be offered a phone call, but those don’t come from me and are offered by the website and you are under no obligation to accept.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what the violations are for, specifically? And, whether you included in the lease NOT to do those things (or do them)?

Violations were like placing objects in front door
On our lease contract does not have anything like that
Our HOA does not allow these and I never received any violation notice because my tenant never sent me

Thank you.

I am sorry to say that the answer is subjective.

For violations that were also part of the lease - the tenant may be responsible for them.

For violations not part of the lease - the tenant can only be held responsible if he KNEW or SHOULD HAVE KNOWN that doing/not doing something would have resulted in a fine to YOU. This is hard to prove, of course. The fact that the tenant did not forward the violations to you suggests maliciousness or willful ignorance on his behalf, which can be argued to make him more complicit. However in the end, it is the Court's decision.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved rudeness or wrong information. Please be kind!

"I STRIVE FOR FIVE!" My goal is to answer your question to your satisfaction. Please rate with five stars (★★★★★) and click SEND. It does not cost anything extra to rate. You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars. Rating my answer the bottom two stars or failing to submit the rating reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. If you are not satisfied for whatever reason, or, have follow up questions, please simply reply with SEND before or after rating and let's continue to chat until you are satisfied. This is what I am here for.

Question again, if this violations were caused by Tenant

That does not matter - unfortunately, the owner is ultimately responsible for the violations on the property even if caused by a tenant.

Kind Reminder: Please, use SEND button to keep chatting, or please rate positively and click SEND to submit your rating once satisfied. You may always ask follow ups at no charge before or after rating. "I STRIVE FOR FIVE!"

What responsibility do I have as a owner
Violations that caused by Tenant and am I still responsible for these fines?

Yes.

Thanks

You are very welcome. Good luck, and please don't forget to RATE my answer with five stars and then click SEND to submit that rating – it is the only way I get credit for my time with you – or, please use the SEND button to keep on chatting. "I strive for FIVE!"

Ely, Counselor at Law