Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My lease ends Dec 31st. my now ex-boyfriend is moving out.

My lease ends Dec...

My lease ends Dec 31st. my now ex-boyfriend is moving out. as of now, both our names are ***** ***** lease.i will remain in the condo. how do we go about removing his name from the lease?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Nevada

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

1 year lease. only issue related to damage by ex for a bathroom door, which he has agreed to fix prior to move out

11/21/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Get a new lease from landlord with your name as the tenant only, his name excluded.

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable, and if I can clarify anything reply and ask me.

Ok. What would happen to the security deposit?
does the landlord have to provide a 30 day notice to my ex?

Normally the deposit carries over to the new lease. If one tenant is leaving, normally the remianing tenant would refund the portion of the deposit out of pocket. The other option is entire deposit returned to both, and remaining tenant pays a new deposit to the landlord.

Landlord should provide notice of ending tenancy as per the lease, and ensure no holdover.

Kindly let me know if that is clear and acceptable, and welcome to follow up if needed.

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
This is clear. Thank you
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page. Happy holidays!
Infolawyer, Attorney
I have another question
Ok
Normally would need a new Thread. But can do it this way and leave a bonus
If a new lease is signed with both our names on it, and a month into the lease, my ex decides to part ways, how would he go about removing his name?
Landlord would have to agree to remove by amendment or signing another lease without him.