Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I'm trying to pay my rent late but the landlord won't accept…

I'm trying to pay...

I'm trying to pay my rent late but the landlord won't accept it. They have

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Started eviction process and tell me I have to work through their lawyer. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Utah

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We are supposed to do lawn care in the summer, Thats about it

11/21/2017
philip.simmons

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I am sorry for this dilemma. But not sure I understand your specific question. Can you give some more context? Is this a residential or commercial property? Did they give you "pay or quit" notice?

Residential. They served eviction papers on Saturday. I didn't see a pay or quit notice. I knew I was going to be late on rent, got a money order to pay buy forgot to take it to the management company but now they won't accept it

Thanks
If you did not pay during the window to "pay or quit"? The landlord is NOT required to accept your payment...they can proceed with eviction.

That said, I would contact the law office and ask them to take payment...and if they refuse, I would show up at the eviction hearing and tell the judge you offered to pay.

Now...legally, since you did not pay on time, the judge can evict...but my experience is that if you can show you tried to pay and the landlord refused the accept, the judge may well decide to not evict.

Bottom line: you missed the window to pay...the law is not on your side...but you can still head to court and plea your case to the judge and that may work out in your favor

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

philip.simmons
Thanks

Welcome. Thank you for taking the time to accept the answer, I truly appreciate that
phil