Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Does a super always have the right to enter an apartment?

Does a super always...

Lawyer's Assistant: Where is the property located?

Ditmas Park

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

I called in for a repair & usually the handyman takes care of it but today the supper accompanied him & entered my apartment. I didn't see why 2 people had to enter the apartment, especially since the handyman is usually responsible for repairs.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He likes to harass tenants-- takes pictures & while he was in my apartment took a picture of my carbon monoxide device which I had removed because it was beeping. He took the picture to harass me so he could report it to the building manager even though it's not what I called about. The handyman put it back in for me. But, I didn't see why the super had to enter my apartment in the first place. He's always looking for ways to harass tenants & I would like to limit contact with him. Is it his right to enter my apartment at all times? Or can I request to deny him access to my apartment?

11/21/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The landlord/superintendent has a right to reasonably enter the premises to make repairs and can enter with repair people when they make repairs. They cannot enter without proper notice to the tenant, which is generally at least 24 hours before the repair time unless it is an emergency repair. However, if he entered with the repairman, that is not illegal. It is also not illegal for them to take photographs in the apartment.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.