Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

What are the rules for tenants regarding leases. My son has…

Customer Question
What are the rules...

What are the rules for tenants regarding leases. My son has leased a house in Statesboro, GA for approx 4 yrs. He signed leases starting April and ending on March 1. The landlord now wants him to sifn a new lease starting January 1 thru Dec31. The landlord wants him to sign the new lease now November 2017 effective January 1, 2018. His lease is not up until the end of Feb. 2018. They don't want to sign that now because effectively they will have 2 leases on the house. What is the answer?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Statesboro, GA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

What do you mean filed?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Does your son want to stay? Why does the landlord want this to happen?

but he does not want to sign another lease until the current one expires which is at the end of
february 2018

Thank you for the reply. If he has concerns, he can ask the landlord to agree to terminate the current lease and have it run from December 1, 2017, through December 31,2018. This way, he is locked into the tenancy for the next 13 months. Now, if he does not want to do that or the landlord will not agree, he can sign the new lease BUT it will not take effect, until the start date. Yes, there are two leases but if he wants to stay, he can lock in the tenancy now, so when the current one ends, the new one will begin. If the current one ends in February and the landlord wants the new one to start January 1, this current lease either needs to be terminated early, in December or a new lease can be signed for 13 months.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!