Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Tenant is asking me to pay for desposed furniture. Tenants

Good Afternoon, Tenant is asking...
Good Afternoon, Tenant is asking me to pay for desposed furniture. Tenants states it happend because she had bedbugs. I rented apartment a yearand half ago without bedbugs. Oncr she told me I sent exterminator to treat the apartment.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: NJ
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: No.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: She said that she got them from another apartment that was treat before. She owes me $2375
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/21/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Thank you

Landlord is not liable for this replacement cost. First, unless condition caused by landlord, no liability. second, even if caused by landlord, tenant should timely notify and allow for treatment which normally is much cheaper than disposing. Practically, both sides should compromise with tenant getting some credit but not full.

Kindly rate me positively. If I can clarify anything, please follow up in chat.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I will. I was trying to call you amd it does not work.

I am not set up for a call. would you kindly rate me for the answer, and feel free to follow up in chat if I can explain anything else.

Infolawyer, Attorney
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Also, she stated that she had spoiled food because refrigerator was broken. I told her that this refrigerator was left by previous tenant and if she does not like it she can throw it away. She used it for 1.5 year and stating that this is landlord responsibility to fix it and pay for spoiled food.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
Please send me a link so I can rate you.

For it to be a landlord fault, it has to not be due to tenant negligence, timely reported and that is not the case here.

Infolawyer, Attorney