Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My boyfriend recently got out of 3 mo in jail and is now a…

Customer Question
My boyfriend recently got...

My boyfriend recently got out of 3 mo in jail and is now a registered sex offender. I'm disabled and he's one of my caregivers, who helps overnight. Will his being here effect my section 8 status?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Regarding?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I just need to know if his returning to help me might get me kicked out.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/21/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. . Federal law prohibits Section 8 vouchers for those required to register as sex offenders or who were convicted to making methamphetamine in public housing. The rule prohibits ONLY THOSE sex offenders who are "subject to a lifetime registration requirement under a State sex offender registration program. If he goes on the section 8 household application, and he's subject to a lifetime registration, then no. What other questions did you have for me?

He has his own place. So, he can visit and it won't effect my section 8 status, right?
Hello, I sincerely ***** ***** patience with this question. I unexpectedly and surprisingly had to leave town on short notice for a person matter. However, you are still my number one priority. This means that I won't be able to engage in a conversation with you today, but does mean that I will be able to get back on tomorrow and you will have my full attention. I promise. I take care of my customers and I will take care of you. I appreciate your patience and apologized tremendously for the inconvenience. I will be sure to work with you soon.
I have more detail. His offense was 311.2 (c). Will his being a registered sex offender for that violation caused me to lose my section 8?
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Hi, based on my understanding, you won't lose section 8 unless he's listed as a tenant. Otherwise, he's just a visitor and they can't tell you who can and can't visit.