Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I need to know if I am able to see what CAM prices that my

HelloI need to know if...
HelloI need to know if I am able to see what CAM prices that my landlord is charging to other tenants in the past 5 years. I think he adjusted my rate because he doesn’t like me. Is he allowed to do that or are there laws protecting tenants from random adjustments to the annual increase in rent?
11/20/2017
Loren, Lawyer

CAM should be based upon the actual maintenance expenses pursuant to the terms of the lease.

If you have questions then you can demand the landlord to provide an accounting of the the CAM charges and proof that you are being charged appropriately, in accordance with your percentage based, presumably, on your square footage.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Can I ask him to explain the charges going back 3 years or more? Also, can I find out what he charges other tenants? Lastly, is there a limit of time that I need to file a case against him? He is very shady and I would also like to know how or where I can search to see if other tenants have filed claims against him in court. Thank you

I just notices this is Philippine law. It was posted in a US legal category.

I will opt out so a Philippine expert can answer this.

Sorry.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

I am a different Attorney and it will be my pleasure to assist you. Which State does your question pertain to?

CAM, as stated above should be based on actual maintenance as stated in your lease.

A landlord is not permitted to discriminate against you. You can check to see if other tenant's have filed claims against the landlord with the county clerk's office. Can you tell me the county where the rental properties are located?

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Arapahoe county, centennial Colorado

You are rate CAM should be based on square footage https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-common-area-maintenance-fee-3514912

Let me provide the link for you to look up cases. One moment please.

https://www.courts.state.co.us/Courts/County/Dockets.cfm?County_ID=57

If there is evidence that the Landlord is price gauging you and you file a case against the landlord you would be able to find out what other tenants in the discovery process.

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it. A positive rating will not impact your ability to obtain a refund.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out.

Can you see the rating scale on your end, 5 stars?

Thank you for your consideration.

Customer reply replied 24 days ago
Thank you for the links - I appreciate it. I will look into these. Also, I absolutely will rate you. Good to know the terms of the website.

Thank you. Are you able to see the rating scale at the top of the page on your end? Some customer's have stated they could not rate.

Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney

Thank you.

Attorney2
Attorney2
Attorney2, Attorney