Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I was denied a motion to stay in florida from an eviction -

Customer Question
I was denied a...

I was denied a motion to stay in florida from an eviction - i called the clerk and they said that i did not file a legal reason enough to grant my request -

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The lease terms are 12 months paid monthly - there are roaches

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I gave the landlord at overlook point apartments in pompano beach florida the rent including the late fee and they told me that my file had already been sent to the lawyers to process the eviction for the month of october

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/20/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. Can you please clarify for me what your question is? Was the eviction actually ordered by the Judge and you were given a time to vacate?

the eviction was filed by the attorney on october 23 in broward county forida. i then responded to the filing and the judge denied it - i filed a motion to stay on 11/17/2017 and called this morning and told i was denied because i had no legal reason
see attached

A defendant does need a legal basis, for a stay to be imposed. It has to be more than a situation, where you need more time to move and you would need and want to show the Judge, why this should be stayed and what will happen or could happen, as a result. If the landlord filed for eviction, you needed to respond and defend it and oppose it. If there was no legal basis to defend this or show why you should remain and not be evicted, it would have needed to be argued.

https://www.browardclerk.org/Web2/CaseSearch/Details/?caseid=OTgxODA3OQ%3d%3d-Jf8fFzZIGkU%3d&caseNum=CONO17008615&category=CV#
what should i do now?

You can go back and file again, if you have a basis for which the stay should be imposed. You need to tell the Judge why you should not have to vacate and what the court should and needs to consider.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Not really helpful. You gave me alot of general responses. I need answers particular to my situation. Not a template response.

I am happy to still work with you but need for you to share with me the basis for the stay? You need to tell me what you need done and why

I know nothing about the situation, which would allow me to provide you with anything more than general responses, at this time.

I paid the rent the landlord including late fee on October 23 and the landlord denied anf said eviction was filed. I got a new job and was paid later. My 6yr old boy had surgery he is still recovering
I sent you the attachment and link to the case

Once the three day notice to pay for vacate passes, a landlord can proceed and file and does not have to accept the rent, if they do not want to. If they denied the rent and late fees and want to proceed, they can. Now, if the issue is your son and his recovery, you want and need to present documentation to the Judge, showing this and asking for additional time to vacate, based upon his medical condition. You would need a letter from his doctor, advising of the surgery and recovery and how he is not able to be transferred or moved out of bed.

Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago