Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Upon signing the lease agreement, tenant and landlord are…

Upon signing the lease agreement...
Upon signing the lease agreement, tenant and landlord are suppose to have copies of every paperwork, correct? What if there was some paperwork I don't ever remember signing and I know I never received copies either?
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/20/2017
LandlordTenantAnswer
A demand can be made for it. Once everything was executed, you should have received a copy of it. If you did not or unsure, a request can be made and they should turn over a copy.
I did ask for copies of all signed paperwork, but they didn't provide me complete copies of everything. Application to rent/screening fee (which I have a copy of), they only provided me with the first page out of two. The residential lease or month-to-month rental agreement has 6 pages total and was only provided the first 2pages, which I don't even remember ever signing. Can they withhold any of the copies? What about the papers I don't recall ever signing? I always keep copies of all signed paperwork and the most important contract of the lease, I do not recall signing and I know never received copies.
If you are missing copies a demand can be made. There is no reason they should be withheld. As far as papers you don't recall signing, if you do not recall maybe you never did so you can ask for a copy of everything signed and within your file.
What could I do after demanding complete copies of everything that pertains the lease agreement and gets no respond from the landlord?
What is your concern or need for them? I know you want them for your records but is there a dispute or concern about something?
They claimed I violated a rental agreement, is demanding I pay part of their lawyer's fee that will be taken out from the security deposit. I just want to read over the whole contract so I can understand why they are so bold on their demands. I've gathered all the paperwork I have and compared it with what they gave me and the most lease agreement that includes policies, violations, and restrictions are the only one I never had a copy of and it doesn't help when they only provided me with the first 2pages out of 6....that I don't remember even signing or reading or seing..but has my initial. There wasn't even a date stamped any where.
If they are making those claims you can demand proof of the violation and show where in the lease, this is a violation. If you have notning to show this or evidence it, you can advise the same and share with them a copy
Of what you have.
I got a hold of the same lease agreement online and I was reading the whole contract. It always state tenant and landlord should have copies upon signing. I never received copies and when this whole problem came about, that particular paperwork appeared all of a sudden with my initial and they didn't even provide me with the complete copy so I can determine if that was my actual initial or not because at the end of all contract pages should have a signature and date stamped not just initials on every page. Is that correct?
Typically, the signature is on the last page and all other pages have an initial, indicating it was read and agreed to. Of course, you can ask to see the original that is signed with ink if you question the authenticity of it.
again, what could I do after demanding complete copies of everything that pertains the lease agreement and gets no respond from the landlord?
Defend the action in court and make a demand during discovery and they would be required to turn them over. I know it is not ideal but absent a court order they do not have to do anything.
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney