Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My fiancé and I are currently renting an apartment in

Customer Question
Second opinion] My fiancé...

Second opinion] My fiancé and I are currently renting an apartment in Johnstown NY and have been living here in this apt for three yrs together.. previously I lived upstairs for eight yrs when I was single.. I august my fiancé made an inquiry to National Grid on why our utility bills were so high... when I paid my bill in august 2017 I inquired about why the bills were so high andf Diana who works in customer service at National Grid mentioned meter sharing so at that point I contacted that department and on September 19th at 1pm a national grid employee came to my home and inspected the property and found that there was in fact meter sharing ,he shut down all power and found that we apt 1 was responsible for all power in our apt and the hallways the outside lights the basement and the half of the apt upstairs which there are tenants currently living theret this time .te national grid rep stated too the landlord that he needed too fix this problem asap .At this time nothing has been done and we are still responsible for all the electric as stated above at this time .On Friday 11/17/17 the landlord Kenya Marlow sent me a text message stating that we have 4 options too correct the problem ,option one is close off basement completely which states we would have no storage or laundry access which was given too us when we moved in .option 2 they the landlords and us would pay to have a licensed contractor and electrician too reconstruct the basement and too ensure separate electric if it exceeds $2700.00 then we go to public service commission and fight it .and during this process we as the tenants would have no access to basement.Option 3 we pay nat grid to put a meter in the basement so all electric which is already on our bill would go on our bill and our rent would go up an addl $275.00 and would still have no access to basement.Option 4 is we would have sole access to basement with storage and washer and dryer but our rent would increase 100 which would be 775 a month according too the landlord these are options given too them from national grid .We as the tenants should not be responsible for a dwelling that has shared metering problems ..What are our options and what are our rights we feel that we should not be responsible for any problems in this dwelling we pay our rent every month and why should we be responsible for the irresponsibility of our landlords .Also we have asked several times too have the furnace checked and serviced and it hasn't been done yet.

Lawyer's Assistant: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Johnstown ny

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Paperwork as far as what ?? The only paperwork in this whole situation we have received was from the meter sharing dept stating there is an open investigation into meter sharing

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/20/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 7 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

.

Thank you I need a response ASAP thanks
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

How much rent do you pay for your unit? Have you gotten any estimate from a professional electrician for the cost of having your unit separately metered?

Here is basically how it works. If the cost of putting you on a separate meter is less than 4 months rent, the landlord is obligated to make the change in the meter at his own expense. If the cost is more than 4 months and the landlord does not want to do the change, he has to put the meter in his name and then can only charge you what your allocable share of the meter reading is. The utility will determine the proportion of the meter that you should pay. The options the landlord laid out are incorrect and under no circumstance is he entitled to increase the rent. You would also be entitled to a refund of the overcharges you have suffered. Below is a link to the relevant statute which is Public Service law PBS §52.

http://codes.findlaw.com/ny/public-service-law/pbs-sect-52.html

If the landlord refuses to comply file a complaint with the Commission as detailed in the statute.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.