Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I was contacted by the water company that the use on my

Customer Question
rental property was extremely high...
I was contacted by the water company that the use on my rental property was extremely high. I immediately sent contractors and plumbers to inspect. They found a leak that had gone on so long the wood floor had collapsed on one area and the tenants covered the hole but never contacted me, the owner, There were other leaks and issues none of which i was notified about. I paid to have the leak stopped the next day and for remediation to begin. Tenants wouldn't let workers start and they had to wait another 5 days. They removed the damaged flooring but the condition was so poor a worker fell through the remaining floor, The put up barriers to the damaged area and told the tenants not to pass. They told the contractor they were not moving out. He said they should discuss that with the owner. My contractor told me the foregoing and said it was dangerous. I called the tenants and said they had to move out and go to a hotel which they refused to do. So I said I'd pay, even though they knew about the problem and caused the damage to become extensive by not notifying me. They STILL refused to move out. The contractor said i should have someone inspect other areas because he saw another floor that looked damaged but the area was locked. I had another inspection by my plumber, and told the tenants they had to leave all areas unlocked.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: California
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: They have been in the home for a long time and the one year lease turned to month to month at the end of the year.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: There has been several contractors and my plumber at the home. Each of them said the tenants repeatedly told them they would not leave, even though the workers did not initiate conversation. They also told me the tenants were passing the barriers even though they told them not to
Submitted: 27 days ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/19/2017
Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 27 days ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

I have carefully reviewed your post. However, I did not see a specific question. What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Customer reply replied 26 days ago
I don't have insurance other than renters insurance, but i assume I'll end up paying regardless of fault. I want these tenants out. The condo was a new remodel when they moved in and it's ruined, They won't leave even for a day so i want to serve a notice to vacate. How much time do they have after i serve the eviction notice and what is the fastest way to get them out if they don't move? I am sure they will refuse to leave based on what the workers are telling me.
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
i just want to know how much notice do i give them and what to do when they don't leave
Customer reply replied 26 days ago
also in a condo are gas and water lines always each owners responsibility? They are located under the unit.
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer