Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

What recourse do I have for the Apt complex I have been

living in as caregiver to...
What recourse do I have for the Apt complex I have been living in as caregiver to my ailing Mother who passed away on the 5th changing the locks and kicking me out. Her rent is paid for the month.
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/19/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney
Is your name on title? Did property pass to you? Someone else?
No I am not on the lease. I am in Oregon. I am one of the exceutors of her will. I was living with her since 7-2016.
They say it is their policy to change the locks , inventory the apartment and then get hold of next of kin.
The policy is generally right however if you have lived there you are by law a tenant and cannnot be locked out. You can contact the police and pursue matter in court. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney