Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have what I believe is a mice/rat infestation in my home…

I have what I...

I have what I believe is a mice/rat infestation in my home and my landlord has been made aware of this and has refused to take care of the problem with paying an exterminator because "it's not his responsibility" to get rid of mice was what his exact words are. I have children and do not want them to possibly get bite by rat. When I reached back out to him and informed him of my concern of my children possibly getting bit he did purchase some repellents that he said has worked for him in the past, but they do not work being that I just found a dead rat on my living room floor. I now need to know if I pay for an exterminator can I deduct the fee from my rent?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I'm on a month to month lease for 7 years now

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The landlord also about three years ago verbally changed my rent due date to the 20th of the month because I was having trouble paying my rent on time that was due on the first of the month he said because he know I was a single parent and to make it easier for me he believed giving me an additional three weeks to pay rent I should be able to pay my rent on time. I have been paying my rent for three years on the 20th of the month, but now all of a sudden he has became upset seems to be because I have lately been asking him to send someone to his property to fix repairs to his home he is now demanding me to pay my November rent and a late fee and that my rent is due on the first of the month period now. Just this past Monday November 1, 2017 he informed me I would have to renew my lease and then on just yesterday Friday November 17 He stated he is not going to renew my lease and he is now being rude

11/18/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to read the lease to see whose liability extermination is. If the lease is silent about extermination being the tenant's responsibility, then the landlord is liable and if you have to pay for an exterminator you can seek to then sue the landlord in small claims for the cost. You could seek to deduct it from rent and attach the bill and proof of payment, BUT the landlord will dispute it and try to sue for eviction, so the safest way for you to deal with it is to pay and then sue in small claims court and seek to recover the money paid upon proof that the lease does not make the tenant liable for such extermination.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.