Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

This is regarding pets and new buyer of the home I;m

Customer Question
This is regarding pets...

This is regarding pets and new buyer of the home I;m renting. The new buyer wants all the tenates to get rid of their pets. Can they do that>

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

South Dakota

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

In my lease, which expired the end of August, pets were allowed. The new buyer took possession on Nov 7th. They gave me a week to get rid of my dogs, one of which is 15 years old, a doxie, the other is just over a year old, a Husky.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I haven't had any complaints of either dog since I moved here.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/17/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, if your lease has expired, your tenancy has converted to a month to month. That means that the landlord can terminate of modify the tenancy. However, they must give you a full month. So, the notice given on or after November 1 would not be effective until Jan 1. The ten day notice is ineffective, unless the landlord can show you are damaging the premises.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!