Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I received a letter from my landlord today (11/16) that I am…

I received a letter...

I received a letter from my landlord today (11/16) that I am being evicted in 30 days from the date of the letter (10/29/17). It gave no reason other than "the landlord has decided to end the tenancy agreement". I've yet to call the landlord; thought it was best to get advise first. I signed a yearly lease in July of 2014 and paid first, last and deposit. My rent is paid through the end of October. What are my options? Any suggestions?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

South Carolina.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

Other than this typed message, not that I'm aware of. There are 2 identical lines on the bottom that ask for witness & date, that are both blank. The letter also states "If you fail to vacate these premises within 30 days, the landlord will begin the legal action of eviction to recover the premises".

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing I can think of other than I've had no warnings and haven't spoken to my landlord in over 2 months.

11/16/2017
Infolawyer, Attorney
If there is a lease landlord has to honor until term ends. If not 30 day notice is proper. You can of course negotiate for a later date since eviction can take longer and costs money. Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
If I should decide to relocate, what would be the date I need to leave by? The letter was dated 10/29 but I didn't get it until today 11/16. It was taped to my front door.
End of December but should negotiate on a mutual date to avoid court etc.Would you kindly rate me five stars - that is the only way I get credit by the website. Thank you!
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me. Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Infolawyer, Attorney
Infolawyer, Attorney