Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a rental property that my tenants have just moved out…

Customer Question
Good evening Lawyer's Assistant:...

Good evening

Lawyer's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have a rental property that my tenants have just moved out without notice. They have not paid last months rent. I need to know when can I gain access to the property.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

So the intial lease was a one year lease then went to a verbal agreement at will month to month.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, They have left property and have damaged the residence.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/16/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 8 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

How do you know they have moved out? Did they tell you this? leave a key? take everything and turn off the utilities?

.

Had you given them any written notice to pay or vacate?

.

How long have they been gone?

.

Do you have any way to contact them?

.

.

thanks

they sent me a text after I told them I was going to stop by and check on the property as they were two weeks late with the rent. When I stopped by I could see inside the window that they had moved out and could tell as things were left outside including a non working car in the drive way with no tags. They have been gone for two days. I can contact they by phone.Kevin
They stated they had to move out suddenly as her mother was in a car accident and she also lost her job and needed to go to Ohio. She did say she would be back in a few days to get a few things and clean up the house. She did not mention anything about making any repairs. But she did acknowledge in a text message that the lease was up Dec 1 2017 and that she would pay be for the month of November.

Ok, then they have abandoned the property and you are free to retake possession and secure the property by changing the locks. I would then post a notice on the front door stating you have secured the property and consider it abandoned and if they need access, they need to contact you to gain entry as the locks have been changed since you do not have keys back from them.

.

Make sure you keep that text and print it out if possible to put in a file. Then take photos of any items left there and then I would move them to somewhere like a garage that is out of the weather and text them to contact you when they need to get back in to pick up the rest of their things. Send them an itemized list of the items via regular first class mail (for forwarding address) and certified mail (for documentation purposes) stating that they have 10 days to retrieve the items or you will consider them abandoned and dispose of them. Put a copy of that letter and the certified mail receipt in the file.

.

And I wouldn't hold my breath about getting paid any back rent unless you can track them down and sue them..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

One additional question about the vehicle they left after I give them 10 days notice can I have the vehicle removed as I am not the owner and don't have a title to the vehicle.thanks for you assistance

Yes, make sure to include that in the notice and state that you will have it towed to the local tow company if they do not remove it within that period.

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much