Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My mother has rented out a bedroom in her house to an

Customer Question
Hello - my mother...

Hello - my mother has rented out a bedroom in her house to an individual that has not paid their rent for over two months. My mother has an agreement with the renter on which rent is due on a month-to-month basis. The renter admitted to my mother that she was laid off from her job as a reason for 2 months late payment. In response to this circumstance, my mother has given the renter 30 days notice to move out of the residence. In addition, my mother has claimed that the renter is inviting strangers into the residence who end up staying in the renters bedroom for an hour, then clean up in the bathroom and then leave. The renter continues this trend with multiple strangers around the clock throughout the day. My mother suspects that the renter is conducting illegal activities within her household and is extremely uncomfortable with multiple strangers coming in and out of the house. Even though the renter has 30 days to leave, I wonder given the circumstance that my mother is having to deal with in the meantime, if there is a way to speed up the 30 days notice remove the renter from the residence sooner?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maryland

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The issues were verbal and not in the written contract.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/15/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 8 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Hello

Good morning. Yes, there is. The 30 day agreement that they made, has to do with the issue of unpaid rent and vacating. it does not mean that the tenant can conduct illegal activities in the home, during time and if she is, your mother can 1) call the police and report this and invite them into the home when this is going on because she lives there or 2) give a notice of the violation of the lease, for the illegal acts and evict sooner, if they continue.

The problem is that since the lady invites multiple strangers into the renters bedroom at different times of the day, my mother cannot actually visibly witness the illegal actives she suspects of. So, no matter how obvious the situation might seem, my mother has basically nothing other than suspicion and does not know what legal basis she has to call the police. Also, could my mother give notice of a "violation" of the lease if "illegal activities" was not stated in the agreement?
In addition, the renter intentionally invites strangers to the home when my mother is at work. It is times when my mother was still at the house and the renter didn't know it, that she became aware of the this disturbing circumstance. My mother is not comfortable in her own home and fears for her safety.

She is going to need to advise the tenant of what exactly is illegal, about what she is doing, to place her on notice of the violation. If your mother really does not know and there is nothing that prevents her from having guests, it may be hard to do this.

to understand you correctly in regards ***** ***** sooner than 30 days, if the written agreement does not contain any issue of the quantity of guests, illegal activities, etc., then the only other viable option would be to contact the police? Is there no other legal basis my mother can pursue?

A tenant can not conduct illegal activities, on the premises. If they are, the police should be called and this person can be arrested. Even if there is no written agreement, a tenant is not allow to do something illegal. If they are, they can be evicted.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!