Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

We live in a mobile home park in Maryland. We pay rent on

Customer Question
the land but own our...
We live in a mobile home park in Maryland. We pay rent on the land but own our home. Last year, our park manager began lumping our quarterly water/sewer bill onto our rent for that particular month. However, she send the water bill separately and sometimes we do not receive the water bill until after the rent is due. When that happens, even if we pay the rent on time, she tacks on a late rent fee, a late w/s bill fee, and sends a court summons (another $25) which says that we must pay the w/s bill plus all the fees and court fee or they will take our home. Or, of course, we can go to court. Is any of this legal?
JA: What steps have you taken so far? Have you prepared or filed any paperwork?
Customer: No
JA: Have you talked to a MD lawyer about this?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We cannot afford a lawyer. Haha
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/15/2017
Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
No late fees can be charged unless agreed to. Also Amy charges can be verified first to confirm accurate and challenged where not supported. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer