Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

I am considering purchasing an apartment building. It is

currently occupied by people who...
I am considering purchasing an apartment building. It is currently occupied by people who at one time had leases with the owner and were paying rent. The owner died several years ago and the property went to his children. The children continued attempting to collect rent from the tenants but discontinued any kind of maintenance of the property. So for the past several years the property has gone derelict. Recently they sold it to a wholesaler. The wholesaler is now trying to resell it.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?
Customer: The seller claims there are no leases.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We are in communication with the people and are willing to help them relocate
11/14/2017
Loren, Lawyer

The tenants currently in possession are month to month tenants, if they have no written leases which are unexpired, and any month to month tenancy can be terminated upon 7 days' notice.

Also, if the tenants have not paid rent, you can evict for nonpayment on 10 days' notice.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer