Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

Our business moved out of our commercial space a few months

Customer Question
before the lease was up...
Our business moved out of our commercial space a few months before the lease was up. We were involved in a verbal communication with our former landlord regarding a rented storage trailer on the property. We offered to temporarily maintain payments while he decided whether or not he wanted to keep it because the town would not grant a permit for another one. When we asked if he wanted it he still hadn't decided so we said that we could not continue to pay rent and would have it removed. He said he would not sallow anyone on the property to remove. It has since been removed and we and still being billed as the rental company thinks we still have it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/14/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Please do

Great, thanks, ***** ***** moment...

When you said that you offered to temporarily maintain payments, how long did you and the other party agree that you would do such a thing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
There wasn't a specific time

I see what you mean. If there is no specific time, then the courts would probably fashion a reasonable time for performance. What is considered a reasonable time is very fact-specific and I wouldn't be able to tell you for sure. However, if you believe reasonably that the landlord had an opportunity to sell, transfer, move, or otherwise do something with the storage trailer, and you believe reasonably that you should not be paying on the rent anymore, then you should stop paying. I would recommend sending the landlord a certified letter advising that because the time for your performance has expired, you will no longer be making rent payments anymore and that his responsibility to pay will return back to him. What other questions did you have for me today?

Hello, I just wanted to check to see if you were still with me? If so, were you satisfied with my service today?

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer