Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in an apartment complex and I also rent a storage…

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an apartment complex and I also rent a storage unit. One week ago, someone from the rental office placed a vacant notice on my storage unit. I called the rental office and left a message explaining that they placed a notice on my unit. I have not heard from the office, but I am wondering what are my rights if they discards the contents of my storage unit?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I am not sure if anything has been filed or reported.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

On two different occasions when I returned from work I found the storage room unlocked and open. There was no forced entry. I notified the rental office, They denied entering the storage unit.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/12/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 7 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

I am sorry to hear this; is the rental storage unit part of the apartment lease?
Has rent been kept up to date and no violations of the lease/rental agreement?

it is.
The rent is up to date, no late charges exsit

Thank you;

The tenant has the right to the exclusive use and possession of the rented property. The landlord may only enter with permission, or in cases of emergency (ie flooding, fire, etc).

If the landlord enters without permission the tenant may consider this a breach of the lease, and sue for damages. Damages are typically

monetary damages suffered- i.e. loss/destruction of personal property

If the tenant can prove that the behavior keeps occuring they may argue constructive eviction and breach of the warranty of quiet use and enjoyment.

The implied covenant of quiet use and enjoyment means that the tenant is entitled to the peaceful use of the premises.

These are implied in every lease and cannot be waived.

If property is wrongfully disposed of the tenant may sue for the replacement value of that property. If the property has not been removed but there is a threat of its removal the tenant may sue for an injunction precluding entry, and violations can result in contempt of court citations, which may include as penalties, daily fines for noncompliance, the award of attorney fees and costs, even jail time to discourage the individual from the willful and knowing violation of a court order.

If the court determines there is constructive eviction the court may order the landlord to pay the tenant's moving costs, and any increase in rent (current rent compared to the rental cost of a comparable unit)

Here is a helpful booklet that summarizes all landlord/tenant issues.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.

Hello again; just checking in to see how things worked out;

If you have no further questions a positive rating is most appreciated (at no additional cost to you) and allows the site to credit my account for the time spent assisting you!

if you have further questions please don't hesitate to reach out to me here on Just Answerand I will do my best to get you the requested information.
Thanks!

The above information is for educational purposes only. A consultation with a private attorney is recommended so they can apply the law to your specific facts, and suggest the best course of action. An attorney can be located here:
http://www.americanbar.org/groups/public_education/public-information/how-do-i-find-a-lawyer-.html
Terms of service can be viewed here: