Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own a property in Mississippi. It is a commercial

Customer Question
I own a property...

I own a property in Mississippi. It is a commercial property. My mom who is also owns it with me has allowed a renter, only verbal contract to rent the space. This renter, who is a good person but did make the mistake of subleasing the extra space to a hoarder under the disguise of a thrift store. She didn't have any permission to do so. Now the thrift store person has completely filled the back outdoor storage area and the extra space. There is only 3 feet to allow the door to open that is clear of stuff. I am told the Renter has started the eviction process. But I am wondering is there anything I can do as the part of the owner of the building?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

As stated, it is in Mississippi

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

All verbal, must keep the space renting clean and area outside maintained. Grass mowed and such

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That is it as far as I can think

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/11/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 7 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

But I am wondering is there anything I can do as the part of the owner of the building?

.

Not really. The problem is that you wouldn't have any contract with the sub so your only recourse is against your tenant. You would have to give them a notice of lease violation if they are breaking your lease somehow and put the pressure on them to get the sub out..

.

But if you don't have a lease violation, you can just give the tenant a 30 day written notice to terminate and tell them that if they get the sub out you will drop any eviction action if they pay your costs..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney