Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord is redeveloping the property. I’ve been here 18…

Customer Question
My landlord is redeveloping...

My landlord is redeveloping the property. I’ve been here 18 years. How much tomthey have to pay for my move?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the Real Estate Lawyer's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Do they understand California tenants rights?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I just did

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No, they don’t even have the city clowncil votes yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If we find a place to buy do they have to pay for the move also?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
11/11/2017
Lawyer: WiseOwl58, Other replied 8 months ago
WiseOwl58
WiseOwl58, Other

Under applicable California law, they would have to buy out your existing lease if they want to demolish the place you are living. The market rate is usually 1-2 years rent that they would pay you to move, plus they would pay the costs of your relocation, plus any additional rent increase that you have to pay in the new location for a similar size unit.

This is very common practice in California, and you should ask for two years rent as a payment to move, and they should give it and pay moving expenses for you.

Please rate 4 or 5 and close out the question. Good luck to you. I wish you all the best.

What if we don’t have a lease? We’ve been paying month to month for years?

Then you should request 24 months worth of rent to move out of the unit. They will pay you to have you leave because they will make a lot of money on the demolition and redevelopment, so they will be happy to have you leave. You can ask for that amount and negotiate as much as you can.

What if they warned us this might happen a year ago? Before the local planning board tried to fight it?
we STILL don’t know if they got city council approval
They might have moved it to a closed session