Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My landlord is claiming poverty and will not provide us with…

Customer Question
My landlord is claiming...

My landlord is claiming poverty and will not provide us with any heat for our house

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Ca

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I believe the lease provides for repairs but isn't there a health and safety issue?

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

I am sorry to hear of your trouble with the landlord, but I have information which will be useful to you.

Every tenancy carries with it the implied warranty of habitability and the right to quiet enjoyment of the premises in exchange for the rent.

If the landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs and it is interfering with the use and habitability of the leased premises then you can sue for breach. In the course of the suit you may be able to leverage an early termination with the return of all deposits.

A riskier way is to move out now and declare the lease terminated due to "constructive eviction". In other words, the action or inaction of the landlord has made the premises unhabitable and you are forced to move out.

You still have to sue and the risk is that the court finds the premises WAS habitable and you end up being liable for breach. In your case, however, I think the court would agree with you that the landlord not providing necessary utilities is something to render the premises unhabitable, creating a constructive eviction forcing you to vacate.

Make sure you have a written record of the damages and your request for repairs.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

The heat in the house we live in no longer has heating systems that work/ The landlord says he can't afford to fix it

You can sue for breach or move out and declare a constructive eviction.

The landlord can not refuse to provide heat or fix the HVAC.

You can also have the HVAC repaired and sue the landlord for the cost.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!

Loren, Lawyer