Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I rented a house for almost 8 years.My landlord never

Customer Question
I rented a house...

I rented a house for almost 8 years.My landlord never maintained the property.The foundation was/is literally crumbling.He has it in our lease that if you move during September-April you will be charged for those months.I gave my 30 day notice on Oct 1.In my notice I explained we were moving due to rats and mice infestation that he never dealt with.Rats got into our rental 8 months ago.He denys that they r rats.Even though I took a dead one to his house.I had to throw away a microwave the the rats chewed the cord,mattresses,my kids cloths and some dressers.We left behind our stove which had nests inside and reeked of rat urine.We had rat dropping everywhere including our food cupboard.We also threw away all of dishes and pans.There

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

We left behind belongings in basement.We were too scared to go in.And we left behind the stove.He is threatening to drop of trash and stove and carpets in my front yard of my new house.He is also saying if I don't have receipt that I paid deposit he doesn't know if I did as he keeps no paperwork.Ive requested a copy of my original lease,he won't give it to me.Hes also charging me for washing and painting walls,raking leaves,cleaning.We are in Iowa.And he told me He charging me for water bill for month of November.I switched the water out of my name .He told me i was to keep it in my name for month of November.Since I didn't he will charge me 40-50 dollars.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Water always leaked.He never came to fix things.The cupboard under sink were completed deteriorated and rats chewed their way in.Huge rat holes inside bout 30 of them and in last couple of weeks landlord filled about 10-15 holes from the exterior.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No I think that is about it.We didn't deep clean.We all slept in one room prior to moving out due to being terrified of the rats.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/10/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 5 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If the landlord is in breach of the lease agreement and/or the rental is not habitable, you would have a right to vacate. You would not be expected to stay in the rental if there are issues with safety and health, regarding rodents and/or the foundation. If you provided notice to the landlord and they have failed to correct this and you are forced to vacate, you can move out and sue the landlord for damages suffered and costs incurred, as well as for a return of your deposit.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD
Thomas McJD, Lawyer