Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My question is about a renter living in strum wisconsin. The…

Customer Question
My question is about...

My question is about a renter living in strum wisconsin. The guy in the next apartment has made meth, and has now chosen to harass this guy in middle of the night. My friend is disabled and an Army vet. -hE IS GETTING NO SLEEP as the neighbor also is messing with his vehicle

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Wisconsin Strum Wisconsin

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No-No one is helping him. But the Sheriff and Police know and can not or will not help my friend. We have no help. And they will NOT let him out of his lease so he can move

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

He is a disabled vet and needs help please

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/7/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thank you very much sincerely ***** ***** patience. Okay, generally, this appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of quiet enjoyment. All residential leases and rental agreements contain an implied covenant of quiet enjoyment. Under the implied covenant of quiet enjoyment, it states that the landlord will not take any action or make any omission which disturbs a tenant’s right to possession and quiet enjoyment of the premises. The warranty does not protect the tenant from the acts of third parties over whom the landlord has no control. However, if the landlord does have control over the situation, but chooses to do nothing, then it is a violation. To help facilitate the situation, you may want to click here to download a “Complaint to Landlord” template and explain how the landlord is in control of the situation and that they are violating this covenant by not taking action. The template only costs $10 and the company that owns the template sends it securely in an email usually 1-2 business days after your purchase. In this case, if the landlord is aware that they have someone who is making meth, but is refusing to do anything to stop it, and it is causing your friend some harm, then your friend may have the option to cancel his lease, move out, and possibly sue for damages.

What other questions did you have for me today?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.