Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Got a CA renter's rights question for ya: ex-landlord is…

Hi all! Got a CA...
Hi all! Got a CA renter's rights question for ya: ex-landlord is trying to charge me what I think is an outrageous fee flea spraying upon move-out. Short story: the prior landlord verbally agreed to the pet, I got emotional support status for the animal and submitted the paperwork appropriately, and now current landlord is telling me I owe money above my deposit for "remediation" (not sure if that's the right word). I lived there for 12 years, and had previously requested, in writing, attention to the flooring which was consistently ignored by management (among several other maintenance items). He's now threatening to take me to small claims to cover the fee for removing and flooring, spraying, and replacing the flooring. I can't find anything in CA rental documentation that covers this. Any input??
10/20/2017
rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

You would have to argue wear and tear here and that it was due for normal replacement.If he sues you here you may counterclaim for your deposit back.It does not seem reasonable that they are seeking in excess of your deposit when there was serious normal wear and tear in this time period.You would respond and contest any small claims case.

Reference and self help

http://www.scscourt.org/self_help/small_claims/defendant/small_claims_defendant.shtml

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks and thanks for rating 5 stars.

rayanswers
rayanswers, Lawyer
Thank you so much, Ray! These have been my arguments all along, but he's countering that bringing the cat in before "official" approval negates all other claims, including the regular wear and tear of the flooring. Is there any basis for that argument?