Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Landlord-Tenant

My son was recently placed on his girlfriend's lease at a…

My son was recently placed...
My son was recently placed on his girlfriend's lease at a condo complex in Miami, FL. The HOA voted in favor of banning trucks from the parking lot 15 months ago. At that time it was voted and passed, the truck owners were grandfathered to utilize the parking lot. However, it was implemented today and the non-grandfathered truck owners / residents are forced to use valet because the HOA does not want a bunch of trucks parked out front. The landlord/condo owner will attempt to appeal this new HOA by law/regulation. So my son has returned to live with me. I thought if the condo owner suggests paying a premium for a truck parking permit, the board may accept it since it will generate a new revenue stream for the HOA. Does the condo owner and/or my son the new co-tenant have any legal recourse?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/18/2017
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed Florida attorney. I hope I may be of assistance with your question. Please remember to rate my service at the end of this session. Thank you!

Your son may have legal recourse, but it is not guaranteed. He may have an argument that he should be included as being grandfathered in because his girlfriend would qualify for the exemption. Be prepared for the counter arguments. The HOA is going to argue that he is a new tenant and therefore not grand fathered in. They will also argue that the girlfriend is not the owner of the truck.

If the girlfriend is issued a parking permit than this may make your argument stronger. She would be grandfathered in and therefore her parking pass should be valid for the truck, regardless of whether she is the owner of record.

Your son may also have an argument that he was living on the property before the implementation of the truck rule and therefore he should be grandfathered in.

Please let me know if you need clarification or if you have an additional question. If not, please rate my answer so that the question may be marked as complete. Thank you!

jb156200
jb156200, Attorney
jb156200
jb156200
jb156200, Attorney