Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I own a home in Loveland, Colorado, in Larimer County. I let…

I own a home in...
I own a home in Loveland, Colorado, in Larimer County. I let a young lady rent a room in my home about 2 years ago. She was working as a waitress but fell on hard times so I let her stay in one of my downstair's bedrooms (with her own private bath and use of the downstairs and kitchen if needed), for about 8 months, rent free. (We did not sign any lease or rental agreement). After 8 months I told her if she planned on staying longer she needed to start paying rent, and she agreed that $400 per month was very fair. She made her rent by the 6th of every month in cash (she is a waitress...apparently she also has credit problems,my guess as to why she doesn't use checks). Last December she asked if she could make 'payments' for January's rent as she said she spent money on xmas gifts and was short, so I agreed. By March she still hadn't brought her rent current. We discussed it and agreed I would forego January's rent so she could have a 'fresh start', and she agreed. A few months ago, I raised her rent to $500 per month as I was laid off in April and needed extra help. (I've since become in employed in September but the rent is the same price). She agreed to the rent increase (which is still far below what rent would be to another person who rents this room/bath/living space downstairs (2,600 ft downstairs.. and very nice). She has done many 'fun' things with her friends while living there, although I know it's none of my business how she spends her money, but in late September she went on a Cruise (apparently borrowed money to go), and told me she spent a lot more than she anticipated and could she make 'payments' for October's rent. Believing this to be yet-another scenario where she may not be able to make her rent current, I texted her and said she could make payments in October, but rent will be due as of November as usual. Wouldn't you guess, that last weekend, she posted on Facebook that someone stole her wallet which had all of her money to pay 'bills' in it, while she was playing Darts with friends at a local bar (why she posts to FB like this, is beyond me). I did not let on I was aware of the FB post, but assumed she posted it there so I would 'read' it. She then texted me telling me about this incident and letting me know she would try to borrow the money to pay me. I had to wait a few days to respond, but I told her it's her responsibility to ensure rent is paid first and foremost, and anything else that comes due is 2nd place, and that by the end of this month, $500 is due, plus another $500 for November. Period. I also told her she may want to put her money in a bank and pay by check, as well as get her life on track (I told her tactfully). She was somewhat sarcastic in her response, so I suggested her time is up, and I'm sad to see she hasn't used these past two years to really help herself get ahead... as the real world is a lot more black and white than I am. I also told her I'm not her mother and it's not fair to place her life circumstance on my shoulders... (unless it was something unforeseen she had no way of preventing). I'm a fair and generous person...but she needs to go. I've had enough. What can I do now? How much notice? There is no rental agreement, deposit, or lease. I was doing her favor.
10/17/2017
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

LandlordTenantAnswer
ok thanks.
Phone call session started