Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Me and a girlfriend signed a2 years lease since we have

Customer Question
Me and a girlfriend...

Me and a girlfriend signed a2 years lease since we have broken up and still have 17 months on the lease and I want to move will a judge make me pay the 17 mos?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The land lord said she will amend the lease to one year but the ex girlfriend might try and keep me paying

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/16/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 9 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good afternoon. Can you please clarify what you mean when asking if a judge will make you pay?

March of 2017 my girlfriend and I signed a lease for what In thought was 1 year but somehow I didn't catch the year on the lease and it was 2 years. Since then we broke up bc she was unfaithful but still share the house.
I want to move out and have agreed on paying through the 1st year but not the 2nd. What will a judge say?
I just want to type

A Judge is going to likely hold you to the lease which you signed and agreed to, with her. Now, if the landlord will release you from the second year, they can BUT your ex would have to agree. I say this because right now, she has you financially committed to the two years. The landlord needs a legal basis to terminate it or amend it and she would have to agree. Now, you can advise her that you are going to vacate and will pay through the first year BUT if she wants to remain year two, she will have to pay on her own or if she can not afford it, will have to agree to allow the lease to be amended. If she knows she can not afford it and does not want to risk eviction, she may unwillingly agree to amend it.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!