Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am a renter in the basement in a home. The only access is…

I am a renter in...
I am a renter in the basement in a home. The only access is through the house. Can he come in at any time with out prior notice. Also, is he allowed to remove the door and/or the door knob at any given time. Because it's his "door".
10/16/2017
Roy Hadavi

Hi David. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I would be happy to provide assistance. Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Answer: No, the landlord may not enter the premises without providing reasonable notice. Generally, reasonable notice is a minimum of 24-hours' notice, unless you agree to let the landlord enter the rental unit with less notice. The landlord may not remove your door or door know, as a tenant is entitled to a separate rental space and has a reasonable expectation of privacy in that space.

You may file a complaint against your landlord with the Colorado Department of Local Affairs, Housing Division by clicking here.

Rating & Additional Questions: Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please do not rate my service. Please ask me as many questions as you need, until you feel I have earned an excellent rating. There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!) at the top of the screen. Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating! A BONUS is also appreciated if you feel I've earned one today.

Thank you!
Does this apply if living with a family member, no written lease and we pay $600/mo?

You are very welcome.

Yes, landlord-tenant laws apply regardless of the relationship of the parties, the existence of a lease, or the amount of money paid as rent. These rules even apply to a parent and an adult child.

Does the landlord have to give us a written notice to vacate the property? With so many days to vacate or the same day as said notice?

The landlord must provide you with a 30-day notice of eviction. You have to move out by the 30th day, or the landlord can file an unlawful detainer lawsuit against you.

Roy Hadavi
Again thank you immensely!

Happy to help!

Thank you so much for the 5-star rating! I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate you taking the extra time! It's been my honor and privilege to help you with this. If I can help you in any way in the future, I'll be happy to help. For easy access, my bookmark is: https://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-royhadavi/ Or, simply request “Roy only” in the first line of your question.

Thank you again. We did sever him a letter of intent to vacate the property. He is still threatening and bulling us. But it helps us with that letter of intent.

Happy to help!