Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My TEXAS TAA apartment lease was signed on 11/11/2016 and…

Customer Question
My TEXAS TAA apartment lease...
My TEXAS TAA apartment lease was signed on 11/11/2016 and expires at midnight 11/11/2017. I gave 60 days notice on 10/11/2017 and will move out on 12/11/2017. Do I have to pay the full month rent in December or just 11 days?
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/15/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 6 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today . The answer to your question is that it depends on what is in your contract. Generally, under a TAA contract, you have to provide the exact date that you are moving out; however, there is nothing in the agreement that says whether you would owe the entire month or just for the pro rated amount. This means that the general principles of contract law are going to take place meaning that you do not have to pay for any of the days that you are not in the building. Accordingly, you should only pay for the 11 days in December and not for the days that you are not living in the building and after the date the termination of the agreement is effective.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer