Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We are in an RV park in Texas, paying monthly plus electric.

Customer Question
We are in an...

We are in an RV park in Texas, paying monthly plus electric. We are insurance adjusters working Hurricane Harvey claims and rely on the internet to do our jobs. We have been consistently complaining about the internet problems for about 2 weeks now, with zero resolution. The park refuses to refund our money now and we're paid thru the end of October

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

It's a monthly space rental, with issues with the internet service

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

If we leave now because of their failure to provide the promised internet service, how can they legally keep our monthly rent. And if so, wouldn't the space have to sit vacant until our payment date has passed?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Texas

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/5/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

ok

Great thanks! Just a moment...Remember, if you get an automatic phone call request and you would not like a phone call, you’re welcome to reject the offer.

Thanks for your patience. This appears to be a classic breach of contract if they agreed to provide internet and they are not doing so. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach, including any consequential damages that have resulted from not having something as important as the internet. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.