Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have lived in a home for three years,pay rent and pay a…

Customer Question
I have lived in...

I have lived in a home for three years,pay rent and pay a utility bill in my name,recently,my landlord has become verbally abusive and has an alcohol problem.After many documented incidents concerning the abuse I felt no choice but to file a harrassment order,the landlord said if I cannot learn to live with him and get along,i will have to move and that if the courts force him out of the home it will get nasty,I am disabled and my disability is getting progressively worse,I cannot move,i am not physically capable and should not have to move,this has all been as a result of his alcoholism,and he is not a nice person when he is drinking,if i had known this i never would have put myself in this situation,please advise

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Maine

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I keep my room in order and purchase my own meals and if physically capable do the up keep in his garden,whatever may be needed

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes,i dont take pleasure in having to put a 72 year old man out of "our home"however,i should also not have to be subject to his animosity,because,as he states,he has pent up anger and a very mean person when he drinks,but what starts out as verbal abuse can quickly turn to physical abuse,this is a serious problem,his drinking

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/4/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for providing this. What specific questions did you have from you regarding this?