Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

New landlord went up on the rent 500.00 and only gave a one…

Customer Question
New landlord went up...

New landlord went up on the rent 500.00 and only gave a one month notice after living here for 10years Has done no work improve the apartment. Is this legal

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Porland maine

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No lease, needs lot of maintenance

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

What are my rights as a tenant

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/3/2017
Lawyer: ScottyMacEsq, Attorney replied 8 months ago
ScottyMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. So to be clear there's no written lease that you've signed, correct?

Assuming there's no written lease, that would be a "month to month" rental agreement.

No, it's not legal to give only one month's notice. He has to give 45 days written notice. That's not much more, but it is more.

Per Maine Statute §6015. Notice of rent increase:

Rent charged for residential estates may be increased by the lessor only after providing at least 45 days' written notice to the tenant. A written or oral waiver of this requirement is against public policy and is void. Any person in violation of this section is liable for the return of any sums unlawfully obtained from the lessee, with interest, and reasonable attorney's fees and costs. [2003, c. 259, §1 (AMD).]

Now the fact that he hasn't done anything in regards ***** ***** is a separate matter. You certainly can move out, or you can give him written notice that he needs to fix the items. But even then your "damages" if he were not to would be limited to one month's rent (as you can move out at any time).

I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Please note that I am still waiting for your response or rating...