Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

When I first moved in I asked the landlord if it had heat.

Customer Question
When I first moved...

When I first moved in I asked the landlord if it had heat. She had informed me that it is cool in the summer and warm in the winter. I live in the basement of a house. When it started to get cold in the fall I had asked her if she could turn the heat on. I had noticed that sh had a lock on the thermostat. She informed me that she would turn the heat on the next day. When I returned home from working all day, I had noticed that she put out electric heaters in each room for me to use. It took over an hour to warm up one room. In the middle of the night I would wake up sweating. I had to turn the heat down. I attached a letter with the rent that said that electric heaters were dangerous and that it was inacceptable. She took the lock off the thermostac. She set it at 73 degrees. I informed her that I like it at 68-69 degrees. It was so hot I lowered the temperature to 68. The room was still hot. It was reached temperatures of 80. I had to put my fan on all winter. I could not sleep with the heat. I had even lowered it to 58 degrees and was still showing 78. One day recently she had informed me that the rent was going up 30 dollars. I had only lived there 1 year. Her reason was everything was going up. At one point she entered my room and checked the thermostac she said it was to hot. I had informed her that it was set at 68 in the winter time. She also informed me that she will raise the rent even more if she has to. I do not have a separate heating system. There is also a tenant that lives upstairs. I take one -two 5 minutes showers a week. I don't know how many showers are taken up stairs. I work a lot so there has been many a time where I would leave the house at six in the morning and return at 10:30 at night doing it all over again. I do not use that much electricity or water. Why should I have to pay more for the whole house. Oh and one more thing, when she took the heaters a way two of the rooms( the kitchen, walk in entrance have no heat. So two out of the 31/2 rooms are not heated. Is this legal. Do I have any rights being a tenant at will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because the Landlord-Tenant Lawyer will solve your problem quickly right now and for a fraction of the cost of seeing an in-person Landlord-Tenant Lawyer. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I live in Medfield Massachusetts

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

There is no lease Tenent at will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

She enters the room when I am not there and then questions certain matters

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/3/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

So to be clear this is a month to month lease?

there is no lease
I am sorry to be pussy but I thought it would be five dollars. I moved to this time to get into the senior low income housing. Everytime an e-mail is sent to me you want me to pay more. Not going to happen. At this point I do not care what the solution is to my problem. I just want my money back

Ok, thank you.