Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Our friend, a new US citizen from Ukraine, paid her rent by…

Customer Question
Our friend, a new...

Our friend, a new US citizen from Ukraine, paid her rent by money order placing it in a locked drop box. Management firm says she didn't. She called Western Union and got copies of the money order on which the payee had been alterred. The mgmt refuses to talk to her and says it is her problem. What should she do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

SC

Lawyer's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

NO. This just happened yesterday and she is very upset

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Understand I am doing this as her friend because she is uncomfortable with the issue. PerhapsI should suggest she contact you but I wanted to make sure this was a site that would be friendly and, honestly, not a "come on"

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/3/2017
Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Attorney replied 10 months ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you (and your friend). What do you mean the payee had been altered? Altered when? Sorry, I want to make sure I have all the correct information when I answer your question.