Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I moved into an apartment over 6 weeks ago and after being…

Customer Question
I moved into an...

I moved into an apartment over 6 weeks ago and after being here for 2 days I noticed I had cockroaches. The landlord has had an exterminator come by 5 times and we still have roaches. They just decided to inspect the other units in my building last week and found the source but I have no idea how long it is going to take to cure the issue. My patience is gone and i'm tired of finding somewhere for my dog to go everytime they come, plus we can't really have food in our house without the worry of them and can't put anything in our cabinets cause we have to keep taking everything out all the time. What are my legal actions and should I pay my rent that is due?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Colorado

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

I'm not sure. We were tenants here for almost a year and moved from a one bedroom to a two bedroom August 4th.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I think that's it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I am sorry to hear of the trouble you are having.

Every tenancy carries with it the implied warranty of habitability and the right to quiet enjoyment of the premises in exchange for the rent.

If the landlord is refusing to make necessary repairs and it is interfering with the use and habitability of the leased premises then you can sue for breach. In the course of the suit you may be able to leverage an early termination with the return of all deposits.

A riskier way is to move out now and declare the lease terminated due to "constructive eviction". In other words, the action or inaction of the landlord has made the premises unhabitable and you are forced to move out.

You still have to sue and the risk is that the court finds the premises WAS habitable and you end up being liable for breach.

Make sure you have a written record of the damages and your request for repairs.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer