Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

Is it against the rule when landlord increases the rent

Customer Question
Hi, is it against...

Hi, is it against the rule when landlord increases the rent without mention about it in agreement?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No, but landlord keeps increasing lease y 4% each year without mention about it in agreement

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/2/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 7 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you under a written fixed term lease or are you month to month?

.

Is the landlord giving any written notice before an increase becomes effective? (i..e 30 days, 60 days, etc.)

,

.

thanks

I'm on the lease until 2020, I thought they had written a letter last year, however, it was not on the agreement when I first signed.

Ok, so does the written lease state that the rent goes up 4% a year?

.

And are you saying that the lease is a fixed term lease for the next 3 years?

.

Does the least state anything about rent increases each year?

.

.

thanks

The lease does not state anything about the increasing. So I wonder if it against the rule or not

Ok, is the fixed term lease doesn't state anything about a rent increase, then legally the landlord can't do it.. It has to say in the lease that they can bump the rent each year or legally it is fixed at the same amount as originally agreed on.

.

So without anything in the lease, I am not sure how the landlord feels he can legally increase the rent each year..

.

As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years...

.

.

thanks

barristerinky
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney