Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My brother is blind and I helped him late Sat afternoon to…

Customer Question
My brother is blind...

My brother is blind and I helped him late Sat afternoon to view and then apply to rent an appt. Today- on Monday morning he went to them to give them proof of S. Security deposits to his checking account but decided to back out of living there. On Sat around 5:00 he gave them $240 for application fee and deposit. They would not give him back his deposit today (11:30am ) aprox when asked for by my brother. They had just finished telling him that his application would not be approved until about 5:00 today but (they were sure it would be ) This was for an apartment complex in Phoenix AZ called Desert Star Appartments.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

AZ.

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

We did not get any terms or copy of the application to rent. As I stated he was just applying to live there as of this past Saturday evening. He wasn't approved yet on the background check as we understood it - not until 5:00 today.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

NO, I guess not. My name is***** manager of Desert Star Apts was called Tim

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/2/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Okay. Thank you.

Thanks for your patience. Do you know if the deposit was non-refundable?

I would prefer handling it online. Thank you. So when can we talk online?

Sure thing. Do you know if the deposit was non-refundable.

Don't know. The manager kept getting interrupted alot and I got lost in what to ask him about that. Have no copy of my brothers application that I filled out for him.
They did not give him or me one. It was $ 40 appl fee and $200 deposit.

I see what you mean. If he was not approved to live at the place and there is nothing in the agreement stating that his deposit/appe fee was non-refundable, then the Desert Star Apartments is engaging in a breach of contract.

A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Thank you.

The pleasure is all mine! Further up on the screen you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.