Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I am new to kansas renters laws. I rented a 2 bedroom house…

Customer Question
I am new to...

I am new to kansas renters laws. I rented a 2 bedroom house and signed a one year lease. the maintenance man feels as hough he can come and go as he pleases. Thursday he showed up rang the bell and then immediately started knocking on the door, and before Icould ever get to te door, he had used his keys and let himself in. I said"oh yu have your own keys now? he said that they were the land ladies. I then told him he had no right to let himself into my house. He said he had to go to the bathroom real bad. I told him from now on he would have to use the gas station or fast food joints at the end of the street. And he could no longer let himself into my house. He would have to call first and see if i/m home and if it is convenient for me. i then said that I could have been sitting in the buff as the ac has been broken for over o week. He thought that was funny. does he or the land lord have a legal right to enter my home at will?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Kansas

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I would lke to know if I can chane the locks without giving a set of keys to th landlord, or can I install deadbolt locks and not give the landlord a key?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
10/2/2017
Lawyer: LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney replied 7 months ago
LandlordTenantAnswer

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Good morning. No, they have no legal right to do this and based upon what you shared, it sounds as though they may have thought nobody was occupying the rental.

Only in cases of hazard involving the possible loss of life or severe property damage may the landlord enter your home without permission.

The landlord may enter your home for almost any reason after giving “reasonable notice” and arranging a “reasonable time". This could be to inspect the premises; make needed or agreed repairs, decorations, alterations, or improvements; or to show the place to possible purchasers, lenders, tenants, workmen, or contractors.

“Reasonable notice” is something you and your landlord have to decide together. If you don’t mind if your landlord comes over without calling first, that’s fine. But you can insist that your landlord let you know as much as 48 hours in advance. One to twenty- four hours is common. You should select your normal standard, if possible put it in writing, and be consistent.

“Reasonable time” is also something you and your landlord need to work out. Because you are paying rent on your place, you have a right to privacy and to decide who comes in and out. If it is important to you, you have the right to insist that you be at home when your landlord comes over. So, if you work days, you have the right to ask that your landlord come over after you get home or on the weekend. If you work 3 to 11, you have the right to ask your landlord to come before 2:30. And so on. If it is impossible for you to arrange a time when you can be at home and your landlord can reasonably arrange to come over, then you may need to arrange to leave your key with a friend or relative or let the landlord make repairs when you are gone.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be 5 STARS! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!

LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer
LandlordTenantAnswer, Attorney