Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have renters ins we had a fire oct1 2016 & have been

Customer Question
I have renters ins...

I have renters ins we had a fire oct1 2016 & have been displaced since. (1 year this Sunday) My insurance sux and i may ghop for bad faith but the cause was the fault of the landlord and i have had no9 luck getting him or his insurance to return a call. How long do i have to file?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

CA

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

YES FIRE INVESTIGATOR - 5 DIFFERENT THE WORST WAS UNDETERMOINED CAUSE BUT WE CAN PROVE NO MAINTAINENCE TOTAL NEGLECT AND RETALIATORY EVICTION ( I COMPLAINED ABOUT PROTECTED ACTS TEN DAYS BEFORE THE FIRE)

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Disabled - cerebral palsy displaced 1 year all personal property clothes furniture car tools everythuing gone plus we made over 40 k in repairs and he still refused to even call us

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/30/2017
Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is Richard-Bizlaw and I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Are you asking if you can sue the landlord for property you lost as a result of the fire? How long ago did the fire occur? Am I correct that you did not have renter's insurance? If the cause of the fire was not determined, why do you believe the landlord should be r esponsible for your losses due to the fire?

DOL is 10-1-16. I wanted to know the length of time to file a suit against property owners for BI, negligence, violations of the ADA, including intentional infliction of emotional distress, fraud, negligence, Breach of inhabitability, failure to provide accounting, not returning deposit , violating the Doctrine if Retaliation ( under Protected Acts), freezing out tenants,+electric & water) failure to provide sewer and garbage service, allowing Acts of Discrimination, ( obstructing Us Mail service,Interfering with Official Govt. Business,and more but sgTs the statute if I due h ! His insurance company has been non responsive, I can prove negligence and zero maint. No water in sink broken garbage disposal, refrigerator,stove,oven,kitchen lights. It is one year Sunday.my own insurance renters just has been shitty dribbled me mere pennies we list our entire household co tents, medications cars, clothing, furniture books tools computers 2ook I was injured putting the fire out and pulling out my disabled roommate,also 2 ither incident e fell off the roof and while carrying furniture on redwood deck rottn boards snapped my legs went through I got severe whiplash and strains and broke 6 teeth

I will get back to you later this evening, I have been tied up all day.

Sorry for the problems this has caused you. The things related to the failure to maintain the property will have a two year statute of limitations unless you have a written lease, in which case it will be four years. On negligence and intentional infliction of emotional distress t is two years from the date of the incident. On any kind of fraud claim it is three years. On the discrimination claims you have to file within a year of the discrimination with the CA Dept. of Fair Employment and Housing or within 90 days under federal law.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney