Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I have a commercial lease question. I rent commercial space…

Customer Question
I have a commercial lease...
I have a commercial lease question. I rent commercial space with a standard commercial store lease and am on the renewed option year.I cannot afford the rent so i found someone to sublease and had good credit as the owner requested a subleasee w good credit.He found out they sell medicinal marijuana which is legal in california and refused to accept them as tenants.Is this enough to get out of my lease as i found a credit worthy lessee?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

thank you very much for your patience. Part of the answer to your question depends on what is in your contract. If your contract only says that you need to find a suitable tenant, then what the landlord is doing is in breach of your agreement. If the agreement said specifically that they would not take anybody that sold any kind of drugs, be it legal or illegal, then you wouldn't be able to get out of the contract. However, I'm going to assume that the contract does not include anything regarding whether a marijuana distributor can be a tenant in the place. Therefore, I would recommend that you get out of this contract because a breach-of-contract can get rid of your requirement that you have to perform. To help you understand the law better, a breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.