Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

We had a tenant in our building who was a hoarder he had…

Customer Question
We had a tenant...

We had a tenant in our building who was a hoarder he had cockroaches (german ones) we got him out and allaghney county health department gave us less than a week to clean it out. Did we have longer the place has been fumigated several times by a professional company. What is the law in NY to clean this up

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Upstate New York Cuba NY

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

At the time there was no lease with this person and this person only. Also they were on social services

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes quit a bit more the mayor has slandered us and stands around watching us and telling us what todo and constantly calls the health dept. We have complied with everything but this mayor is now even sending me text messages and going on our property looking in the dumpsters when we had it there

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 10 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The health department has a right to set a time for cleaning out the premises, they have no set times in the laws. However, what you have is a reasonable time based on how severe the premises was and what a professional cleaning company would tell you it will take to clean the premises completely. So, if you are using a professional company, get a letter from them stating what they have done and what needs to be done and how long it will take. Then you need to submit the letter to the health department and send a copy to His Honor the Mayor with a letter attached informing him that you are doing as required by the health department and cannot do it any faster and if he does not cease and desist his harassment and making known false statements about you to the public you will proceed to sue him personally for defamation and for harassment.

That is all you can do at this point, since you are at the mercy of the professional cleaning company and exterminators.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.