Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

I live in an age-restricted, income-based apartment

Customer Question
I live in an...

I live in an age-restricted, income-based apartment community where the management company gets federal IRS tax credits.A month ago, they sent out a notice to residents that the building is now a non-smoking building. (They probably did this to lower their insurance premiums.) I was thrilled, since the place is teeming with cigarette smokers, pot smokers and people who vape. Since that notice was issued, the smoking and vaping has increased, not decreased. We were told that any violations would be treated as a breach of the rental agreement and may lead up to termination of tenancy. Countless complaints have been submitted to the office, but staff keep saying that "unless they actually see someone smoking, there isn't anything they can do." In all fairness to the staff, they have little control or say about what happens in this building. The management company oversees everything. Most of them wait until the office closes in the evening, and for the weekends. The office staff will NEVER see anyone smoking.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state is the property located in? And has anyone consulted a local attorney about this?

Located in WA state. No one to my knowledge has yet contacted an attorney, which is why I thought I would start here

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

The usual terms...

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I am not alone. It is all over the building (150 units). "MY" smoker (below me) is now vaping and is even worse than cigarette smoke. It is literally making me sick. It creeps in despite closed windows and sliders. It comes into hallway windows and floats down the hall. On my floor alone, it seems every 3rd unit or so does something! We're all up in arms about this and wonder why our rights as paying tenants aren't being addressed.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/29/2017
Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If management will not take any action, then as a tenant you can sue management for breaching your lease for failure to enforce their no smoking policy within the building, which is interfering with your peaceable use and enjoyment of the premises that your lease guarantees you to receive. You need to get some evidence, such as some cell phone pictures or video of neighbors smoking in the building and testimony of some other residents that smoking is taking place and management is failing to act and you can get a court order forcing management to take action and also seek damages against the management for failure to act in the beginning.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney