Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

The situation if the City of Lake Havasu rents hangars at…

Customer Question
The situation if the...

The situation if the City of Lake Havasu rents hangars at the local airport and some of the hangars are infested with termites. The City is contending that they have no responsibility to correct the situation. What law covers this situation?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

Arizona

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

Just a simple month to month lease with nothing spelled out about maintenance

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not that I am aware of

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/28/2017
Lawyer: legalgems, attorney replied 10 months ago
legalgems
legalgems, attorney

Good Day!A few minutes please as I review your question so I can provide you with legal information. Thanks!

Here is the statute:

33-343. Premises rendered untenantable without fault of lessee; nonliability of tenant for rent; right to quit premises

The lessee of a building which, without fault or neglect on the part of the lessee, is destroyed or so injured by the elements or any other cause as to be untenantable or unfit for occupancy, is not liable thereafter to pay rent to the lessor or owner unless expressly provided by written agreement, and the lessee may thereupon quit and surrender possession of the premises.

So if the lease does not address the issue the statute would control, which allows the tenant to terminate if the infestation renders the unit unfit.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟*****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service. ☺️

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. The terms addressing this can be viewed here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/terms-service-0#information

Thank you and take care.