Landlord-Tenant

Ask a landlord-tenant lawyer and get answers ASAP

My car has been vandalized twice in the last three days, by…

Customer Question
My car has been...

My car has been vandalized twice in the last three days, by someone puncturing my two front tires. Does the landlord have some liability?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

I live in an apartment building in Lodi, CA 95240

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the terms of the lease? Any issues related to maintenance or upkeep?

This is vandalism, and I am no longer safe where I am living. I can afford buying two new tires every three days.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes, I am 81 years old

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Landlord-Tenant
9/28/2017
Lawyer: barristerinky, Attorney replied 10 months ago
barristerinky
barristerinky, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

my car has been vandalized twice in the last three days, by someone puncturing my two front tires. Does the landlord have some liability?

.

Unfortunately, the answer is no, the landlord doesn't have any legal liability for the criminal actions of a third party against you. The exception would be if it were the landlord or the landlord's employees who caused the damages..

.

But if this is just someone with an ax to grind against you, then this wouldn't make the landlord liable..

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Hello again,

.

I just wanted to touch base with you and check in.

.

Did you have any further questions I can help with?

.

.

Thanks much